Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How can I stop a spammed from using my e-mail address to send spam?

Several friends and family received a spam from my e-mail address that I did not send. Someone apparently got hold of my contacts and sent spam from my e-mail address. What to do?How can I stop a spammed from using my e-mail address to send spam?Sounds like your E-mail account has been compromised, or you picked up a virus, Margot.

Immediately have your computer checked for a 'bug' or 'bugs.' If you have the proper programs, do the scans yourself, if not you need to take your computer to some one who can.

Once it is clean of pests, install a firewall and an anti-virus program if you do not have one yet.

I strongly recommend a program for malware and adware also.

After you finish this, then go in and change your password, using a good strong one.

Also, check your account information and make sure no information was changed, if it was change it back immediately.

Then, you will have to inform your contacts that it was not you sending that mail, but they need to check their computers in case they were also infected.How can I stop a spammed from using my e-mail address to send spam?Someone either figured out your password, or you have a worm virus the copied your address book and is sending out spam, in your name



Change your password

At the top/left of this page where it says

Hi _____

Click on Yahoo Acct Information.

From there, you'll log in again, and then see the

Change Password link.

Also run a virus scan.